Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Commando Crawl

So, I really want to be better about blogging. I know I have said that before (and I'm sure I'll say it again) but sometimes things happen in our lives that I just have to share with everyone. This is one of those times!

We have decided that Luke is going to be pretty smart. He's only 7 months old, and has already caught on to our "sneaky parenting tactics." At his 4-month appointment, our pediatrician told us he should be sleeping through the night. We should let him cry himself back to sleep and if we must, we can go in his room, comfort him without picking him up and then we have to leave. After a few rough nights, he got pretty good about falling back to sleep if we put the binkie in his mouth. Then, that wasn't enough. If he saw us at all, then he would hysterically cry and there was no way we couldn't NOT pick him up.

Ben developed, what we call, commando. Luke understood that if his door opened at all, we would be coming in, so as he lay in bed crying, he would stare at his door. One night, Ben crawled into Luke's room. Then reaching his arm up over the side of the crib, he would search for the binkie, then put it in Luke's mouth without being seen. Soon Luke would be fast asleep.

About a week after perfecting this "tactic," Ben was again crawling into Luke's room one night when he heard Luke stop crying and coo. Ben looked up to find Luke pulling down the bumper in his crib and peaking over the top, staring at Ben. Since then, commando no longer works. Every time we let him cry for even a second in his crib, we open the door to find him pulling down the bumper, watching for us! He's too smart for us!






1 comment:

  1. That's a very funny story. haha. Ahh the things we do to make our kids sleep.

    ReplyDelete